Eden Gardens Stadium in Kolkata:- Nestled in the heart of the vibrant city of Kolkata, Eden Gardens Stadium stands as an enduring testament to the grandeur of cricket in India. Revered as one of the most iconic cricket venues in the country, this stadium boasts a rich history that stretches back to the annals of the sport.
Eden Gardens Stadium in Kolkata
- 1 Eden Gardens Stadium in Kolkata
- 2 Eden Gardens Stadium in Kolkata Overview
- 3 FAQs
As you step into the hallowed grounds of Eden Gardens, you embark on a journey through time, where each brick and blade of grass echoes with the resounding cheers of countless cricket enthusiasts.
Click Here:- ICC World Cup Schedule 2023
In this article, we will explore the magnificent Eden Gardens Stadium, delving into its awe-inspiring capacity, captivating visual allure, and the seamless ways to reach this historic arena. Join us as we uncover the legacy and charm of a stadium that has played a pivotal role in shaping the world of cricket.
Eden Gardens Stadium in Kolkata Overview
|Location||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Capacity||Approximately 68,000 spectators (varies for matches)|
|First International||1934 – India vs. England (Test match)|
|Record Attendance||120,000 during the 1997 Asia Cup Final|
|Architectural Style||British colonial, with a historic grandstand|
|Renovations||Extensive renovations and modernization in 2011|
|Notable Features||Lush green outfield, historic architecture, giant electronic scoreboard|
|Home to||Kolkata Knight Riders (IPL), Bengal cricket team|
|Accessibility||Well-connected by road, rail, and air transport|
|Nearby Attractions||Victoria Memorial, Maidan, Howrah Bridge|
|Official Website||Click here|
History of Eden Gardens Stadium
|Memorable Matches||– 1934: Hosted its first international Test match (India vs. England).|
- 1987: Venue for the thrilling World Cup final between Australia and England.
- 1996: Witnessed an intense World Cup quarter-final between India and Pakistan.
- Numerous matches featuring cricket legends like Sachin Tendulkar and Sunil Gavaskar.
- Home Team :- Kolkata Knight Riders (IPL), Bengal cricket team.
- Historical Records :- Hosting the highest recorded attendance in cricket history (120,000 in the 1997 Asia Cup Final).
- Known for creating a unique and electrifying atmosphere during matches.
Iconic Matches and Moments:
|1984||First Test Match in India’s Historic Win vs. England||India defeated England for the first time at Eden Gardens, marking a historic moment in Indian cricket.|
|1996||Semi-Final of the Cricket World Cup||A high-voltage clash between India and Sri Lanka was awarded to Sri Lanka due to crowd disruption, leading to India’s defeat.|
|2001||India vs. Australia, VVS Laxman’s 281||VVS Laxman’s epic 281 helped India come back from the brink of defeat to win the Test match against Australia.|
|2003||India vs. Pakistan, World Cup Final||India defeated Pakistan in the final to win the Cricket World Cup for the second time in history.|
|2008||Kolkata Knight Riders’ IPL Victory||Kolkata Knight Riders, led by Shah Rukh Khan, won the inaugural IPL season at Eden Gardens.|
|2016||India vs. New Zealand, Historic 250th Test Match||This was India’s 250th Test match at Eden Gardens, and they won in style with a dominant performance.|
|2021||India vs. England, Day-Night Test||The first-ever day-night Test match at Eden Gardens saw India winning convincingly under the lights.|
Capacity and Layout
- Eden Gardens has a seating capacity of approximately 66,000 spectators. It has historically been known to accommodate even larger crowds during major matches and events, often exceeding its official capacity.
The stadium has a traditional design with a large, circular seating bowl. It is characterized by multiple iconic features:
- Pavilions: Eden Gardens has four main pavilions, namely the High Court End, Club House End, BC Roy Club House, and the Ganguly Pavilion. These pavilions provide seating and facilities for both spectators and VIP guests.
- Grandstand: The grandstand offers some of the best views of the pitch and is a popular choice for cricket enthusiasts.
- Club House: The BC Roy Club House is a premium seating area that provides excellent views of the action and various amenities for spectators.
- Dressing Rooms: The stadium features well-equipped dressing rooms for both home and visiting teams, complete with facilities for players and support staff.
- Jagmohan Dalmiya Stand: Named in honor of the former BCCI President Jagmohan Dalmiya, this stand is a significant part of the stadium.
- Floodlights: Eden Gardens has modern floodlights to facilitate day-night matches.
- Practice Pitches: The stadium complex includes practice pitches for teams to warm up before the match.
- Historical Display: There’s a historical display at the stadium showcasing significant moments and memorabilia from the world of cricket.
- Pitch: The pitch at Eden Gardens is known for its unique characteristics, offering both assistance to spinners and bounce for fast bowlers. It has historically hosted some iconic matches and memorable performances.
- Gardens: The stadium is surrounded by beautiful gardens and greenery, adding to its aesthetic appeal.
For Stunning Photos:- Click Here
How to Reach Eden Gardens Stadium?
|Mode of Transportation||Details|
|By Air||Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (CCU) is the nearest airport, located approximately 17 km from Eden Gardens. You can take a taxi or a pre-booked airport transfer to reach the stadium.|
|By Train||Howrah Junction (HWH) and Sealdah Railway Station (SDAH) are the major railway stations in Kolkata. Eden Gardens is easily accessible from both stations via taxi or local transportation.|
|By Metro||The stadium is well-connected by Kolkata Metro. The nearest metro station is Eden Gardens Metro Station, located within walking distance from the stadium.|
|By Bus||Kolkata has an extensive bus network. You can use public buses or private transportation services to reach Eden Gardens. Various bus routes pass near the stadium.|
|By Taxi/Rideshare||Taxis and rideshare services like Ola and Uber are readily available in Kolkata. You can use these services to reach Eden Gardens conveniently from your location within the city.|
|By Local Transport||Auto-rickshaws and cycle-rickshaws are common in Kolkata. They can be a convenient and affordable way to reach the stadium from nearby areas.|
In conclusion, Eden Gardens Stadium in Kolkata is a historic and iconic cricket venue known for hosting some of the most memorable matches and moments in the sport’s history. With a seating capacity of approximately 66,000 spectators and a traditional circular layout, the stadium offers a unique and captivating cricketing experience.
Traveling to Eden Gardens is convenient, with options such as air travel via Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, train services from Howrah Junction and Sealdah Railway Station, as well as access via Kolkata Metro, buses, taxis, and local transportation.
What is the history of Eden Gardens Stadium?
Eden Gardens, located in Kolkata, India, is one of the oldest and most iconic cricket stadiums in the world. It has a rich history dating back to 1864 and has witnessed numerous historic cricket events.
What is the seating capacity of Eden Gardens Stadium?
Eden Gardens has a seating capacity of approximately 66,000 spectators, making it one of the largest cricket stadiums in India.
Is there a museum or historical display at the stadium?
Yes, Eden Gardens features a historical display showcasing significant moments and memorabilia from the world of cricket.