Aadu puli attam (ஆடு புலி ஆட்டம் )
Indian Traditional Game Aadu puli attam-
Aadu Puli aatam (goat and tiger game) is a strategic, two-player (or 2 teams) board game originated in Tamil Nadu and is also played in Karnataka(Huli gatta) and Andhra Pradesh(Puli Joodam or Puli – Meka). The game is asymmetric in that one player controls three tigers and the other player controls up to 15 goats. The tigers ‘hunt’ the goats while the goats attempt to block the tigers’ movements.
- Board with the game chart or Chart drawn on a floor (See Picture for chart)
- 2 or more players
- 3 Pulli’s & 15 Aadu’s
How To Play?
- Draw the chart as in the picture in a paper or on the ground with chalk powder
- Start the game with 3 Pulis (tigers) are one placed on the apex, and 2 in the inner place closest to the apex. All aadus (goats) start off the board.
- The pieces must be put at the intersections of the board lines and moves should follow these lines.
- The player controlling the aadus’ moves first by placing an aadu onto a free intersection on the board.
- Then it is the puli’s turn. One puli is then moved to an adjacent position along the lines that indicate the valid moves. Moves alternate between players.
- A puli captures an aadu by jumping over it to an adjacent free position (as in checkers). Aadus can not move until all 15 have been put on the board.
Rules Of Game
The pulis must move according to these rules-
- They can start capturing aadus any moment after the match has started.
- They can capture only one aadu at a time.
- They can jump over a goat in any direction, but it must be to an adjacent intersection following any of the lines drawn on the board.
- A Puli cannot jump over another Puli.
The Aadus must move according to these rules:
- They must leave the board when captured.
- They cannot jump over the Pulis or other aadus.
- They can only move after all 15 have been put on the board.
Objective of the Game:
- Aadu’s objective is to encircle Pulis so that none of the Pulis can move. Puli’s objective is to kill 5 Aadus.
- Puli wins if all the aadus are captured and Aadu wins if all Pulis are blocked from movement.